The Capital Pursuit
Capital Pursuit is a premier late summer race that takes participants through the vibrant streets of downtown Des Moines, down the beautifully tree lined streets near Drake University campus and ending at the amazing Western Gateway Park downtown. In it's 36th year, make sure not to miss one of Des Moines' longest running traditions.
Capital Pursuit is the "RRCA State 10 Mile Championship" this year!
The Capital Striders are a member of the Road Runners Club of America, which promotes the development of community-based running clubs and events in the pursuit of health and competition for all ages. RRCA provides support and race insurance for many of its 2,500 member organizations.
Race Reviews and accolades
Time & Location
- Date: September 16, 2018
- Time: 8:00 a.m. start for the 10mi. and 5k races
- 9:30 a.m. for Pursuit Junior
- Starting Line: Locust & 15th Street
- 10 mile (map) ***RRCA Championship Event - USATF Certified 10 Mile Course IA16011MF*** (Download map PDF)
- 5k course (map) ***USATF Certified Course IA16010MF*** (Download 5k map PDF)
- Pursuit Junior
CALLING ALL ELITES: The Capital Pursuit road race is again offering free entry to elite runners who meet time qualifications for the 10 mile race. The standards for the featured race are 58 minutes for the men, 1:04 for the women, or equivalent times for shorter or longer races. Elite entry inquiries should be made to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 10mi - $40.00 Registration (through 6/30/2018) $45.00 Registration (after 6/30/2018 until 9/13/2018)
- 5k - $30.00 Registration (through 6/30/2018) $35.00 Registration (after 6/30/2018 until 9/13/2018)
- Race Day Registration cost: 10mi: $50 5k: $40
- Capital Striders members receive a $5 discount
Online registration for the Capital Pursuit 10 mile and 5K race IS NOW OPEN!
Saturday, September 15 (1:00 - 5:00pm)
- Fitness Sports' NEW location at 8810 Swanson Blvd in the Swanson Depot
Race Morning near the start line from 6:30 a.m. - 7:30 a.m.
The top three males and females in the 10-mile and 5-kilometer races will receive cash prizes.
• In the 10-mile race, awards will be given to the top three males/females in 14 age groups. The age categories are: 19 and under; 20-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; 65-69; 70-74; 75-79; 80 and over.
• In the 5K race, awards will be given to the top 3 males/females in 10 year age groups. The age categories are: 19 and under; 20-29; 30-39; 40-49; 50-59; 60-69 and 70+
Pursuit Jr. Information
The Pursuit Junior kids' races are free; however, registration is required.
Participants can register at the Pursuit Jr. Table near the finish line on race day. Parents/guardians will need to sign a waiver prior to their child participating in the race. Participants will receive a t-shirt and a participation ribbon.
The announcer will ask the various age divisions to report to the Pursuit Jr. table at approx. 9:00.
Beginning at approximately 9:30 a.m., kids will run down finish area on Locust Street. Kids will be broken into the following 3 age groups:
Ages 4 & under: 9:30 a.m. - run approx. 100 meters
Ages 5-8: 9:40 a.m. - run approx. 250 meters
Ages 9-12: 9:50 a.m. - run approx. 400 meters
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Shirts!
Long sleeved technical shirts to the first 400 pre-registered 10 mile participants. Medals presented on race day to all 10 mile finishers. Participants in the 5k will receive a technical short-sleeved shirt.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Send an email to email@example.com